Women Thrive is a leading voice for global women’s rights. We work to create a world in which women and men work together as equals so that they, their families and their communities can thrive.
More than 1 billion women and girls live in poverty worldwide. Women Thrive Worldwide understands that women know what is best for women, and their solutions work.
We empower grassroots women so their perspectives and solutions shape local, national, and global policies to help women break free from poverty, violence, and inequality. We ground our work in the realities of women living in poverty, partner with locally based organizations, and create powerful coalitions to advance the interests of the women and girls we serve. Our work cuts across three core programs:
Alliance for Women’s Solutions
Women Thrive’s Alliance is a network of local women’s groups and civil society organizations in developing countries committed to promoting women’s solutions in development policies and programs.
Women Thrive’s Champions program provides Alliance members across the world support from everyday activists in the United States and elsewhere to help move forward programs and policies that impact the lives of women and girls.
Coalitions for Equitable Development
Women Thrive’s Coalitions program leverages powerful coalitions to ensure women’s empowerment is central to international development policies and programs.
What Sets us Apart?
- We are advocates: We are the voice in Washington, D.C., for women living in poverty worldwide. We do not run programs ourselves on the ground.
- We are independent: We do not accept any U.S. government funds. All our support comes from private donors and people like you.
- We are grounded: We do not propose solutions to women’s problems ourselves. We believe that women are the best source of solutions, and we advocate for priorities that women in developing countries say are best for them.
- We have a big vision: Big change does not come without a game-changing vision and approach. We push for transformative change that will impact women in every corner of the world.
- It’s not just about us: We know that one woman's voice can change the lives of many, and multiple women's voices can change the lives of millions.
- Sign Up - Stay up to date with all things Women Thrive by signing up for our e-mail list.
- Donate - Please give generously so that we can continue to advocate on behalf of women living in poverty.
- Take Action - Be part of the solution by contacting Congress and other decision-makers on today's most urgent issues.
Women Thrive Worldwide was founded in 1998 by Ritu Sharma and Elise Fiber-Smith
under the name "Women's EDGE Coalition."